Low consumption electric motor and Dc generator
Low consumption electric motor
Objective : to build an electric motor operated under low power (voltage and current) , powered by a single small solar panel which can operate in the artificial light and which can be transformed in a small electric dc generator.
Material NdFeB Shape, Sphere Diameter 19 mm Tolerance +/- 0,1 mm, Coating Chrome-plated (Ni-Cu-Ni-Cr), Manufacturing method sintered Magnetisation N38 Strength approx. 4,9 kg (approx. 48,1 N), Max. working temperature 80°C, Weight 27,2943 g, Curie temperature 310 °C, Residual magnetism Br 12200-12600 G, 1.22-1.26 T, Coercive field strength bHc 10.8-11.5 kOe, 860-915 kA/m, Coercive field strength iHc ≥12 kOe, ≥955 kA/m, Energy product (BxH)max 36-38 MGOe, 287-303 kJ/m³ 19 mm , Pollutant-free according to RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU._
Important : the metal cases with screws should be positioned : one to the N magnetic pole of the neodymium sphere 19 mm diameter and the second one on the S magnetic pole of the sphere. ( In the presented Video 1. , at the first test, the metal cases weren’t properly placed on the sphere and the motor doesn’t reached the full speed )
In the upper side of the sphere there is no friction between the screw and the iron – see low consumption motor VIDEO -TEST 2
Input DC power – mini solar panel -VIMUN SC-3012-2A, 29.44mm×11.6mm×1.1mm, 4 cells
There are a total of four electrical components. A small solar panel ( VIMUN SC-3012-2A, 29.44mm×11.6mm×1.1mm, 4 cells. The following specifications were listed, 2.0 Vos, 9.0 UAsc, 1.5 Vop, at 200Lux), a 470 uF 10 V electrolytic capacitor, a coil iron less with thin copper wire and a small circuit board with a black blob on it.
Under this blob is the integrated circuit chip. It provides the correctly timed pulses to the coil and magnet combination. The integrated circuit is more or less just a low frequency oscillator which runs at approximately 1 Hz most likely driving an open drain NMOS switch ( output on pin 3 ) which periodically connects the coil to the – terminal. The circuit pulses the 18 mH coil causing the neodymium sphere magnet spinning.
electrical components used (excepting the coil iron less ) – from a solar powered flapping toy.
The presented low voltage electric motor can be transformed in a DC generator by adding a second coil iron – less, a rectifier (Ac to DC) and a led :
The rectifier used in this test can be found in a old phone charger.
IMPORTANT NOTE : if you will connect directly the led to the solar panel, the led will NOT light , due to the low voltage output of the solar panel.
The second coil used can be found in a syncronous motor 230 V (microwave turntable motor)
without using the rectifier (AC to DC ) results AC voltage.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CONSUMPTION ELECTRIC MOTOR AND TRANSFORM IT IN A DC GENERATOR
VIDEO 1. : LOW CONSUMPTION MOTOR TEST 1 :
VIDEO 2. : LOW CONSUMTPTION MOTOR TEST 2
DC GENERATOR :
VIDEO 3. : DC GENERATOR TEST 1
Materials used to make the low consumption motor and the DC generator :
1. VIMUN SC-3012-2A, 29.44mm×11.6mm×1.1mm, 4 cells + voltage rectifier (inside a solar powered flapping toy)
2. neodymium sphere 19 mm diameter
(Material NdFeB Shape Sphere Diameter 19 mm Tolerance +/- 0,1 mm Coating Chrome-plated (Ni-Cu-Ni-Cr) Manufacturing method sintered Magnetisation N38 Strength approx. 4,9 kg (approx. 48,1 N) Max. working temperature 80°C Weight 27,2943 g Curie temperature 310 °C Residual magnetism Br 12200-12600 G, 1.22-1.26 T Coercive field strength bHc 10.8-11.5 kOe, 860-915 kA/m Coercive field strength iHc ≥12 kOe, ≥955 kA/m Energy product (BxH)max 36-38 MGOe, 287-303 kJ/m³ 19 mm Pollutant-free according to RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU.)
3. iron head ( MAGNETIC HEX HEAD SCREWDRIVER )
4. plastic holder
7. two coils iron less with thin wire (one coilwith thin wire from an old ring bell and the second one (“caption coil ” inside the microwave syncronous motor turntable 230 V)
8. led ( inside a printer scanner light ) or a normal led
9. two metal cases with holes ( 2 X Neodymium Pot Magnet with Screw Thread )
10. two screws
11. multimeter ( to identify the polarity – DC voltage for the conection between the led and the rectifier (AC to DC)
12. AC to DC rectifier – inside old phone charger ( Important : if you will not use the rectifier you will obtain AC voltage, and the led blinking)
1. remove the coil with thin copper wire from the old ring bell.
2. remove the electrical circuit from the powered flapping toy and replace the original air core ( coil ) with the old bell ring coil.
3.remove the neodymium magnets and the original screws from the pot ( refering at2 X Neodymium Pot Magnet with Screw Thread ) , you will obtain two metal cases with holes in the middle.
4. insert the new screws in the metal cases ( the small one and the long one ) and fix them ( you can use a piece of rubber from a conductor/wire).
5.fix the metal cases with screws (magnetic catch) on the neodymium sphere 19 mm diameter
Important fix them on the magnetic poles ( N and S ) for mmaximum high speed motor and align the metal cases for a suitable rotation of the sphere (eliminating oscilations as much as possible)
6. build the plastic holder and fix the sphere (with the long screw up ) by gluing the iron head
Important : there is no friction between the long screw and the MAGNETIC HEX HEAD SCREWDRIVER (iron head) – the long screw placed on the sphere is not touching the iron head !- see the second movie published in this section ( low consumption electric motor test 2 )
Use glass surface – small screw contact !!
7. place the coil (connected to the electronic circuit ) close to the spnere. The sphere will start oscilate and after will start spinning.
BUILD THE DC GENERATOR :
1. remove the led from the printer scanner light
2. place wires on pin 1 and 4 (refering to the led) you will obtain green light.
3. remove the rectifier (AC to DC) from the old charger
4. remove the coil iron-les from the syncronous motor 230 v (microwave turntable motor )
5. connect the coil iron – less through wires to the voltage rectifier “IN ” – no polarity
6. identify the polarity of the rectifier ( “OUT” ) and the led (refering to + and -) using a multimeter on voltage scale.
7. connect the led to the rectifier output respecting the polarity ( +and -)
results : Dc voltage
8. THE GENERATOR IS READY aproach the coil as much as possible to the spinning sphere without touch it!
Motor generator powered with solar panels
(PULSE MOTOR GENERATOR – PMG)
Objective: to build a simple motor generator using a fidget spinner with iron insertions, neodymium magnets, two coils iron – less, a reed switch two small solar panels, and five leds
Category : solar power projects
Input : DC
Output : AC
How it works :
The pulse motor generator generates Ac voltage. The input pulse current passes through a input coil iron less (bobbin) specifically positioned. The power wheel is composed of a fidget spinner “1.” with iron insertions and three neodymium magnet discs “2.” disposed N-N-N. The reed switch “7.” is positioned on the input coil “6.” like in the image presented at “8.” The pulse motor generator is powered with two small solar panels presented at “3.” The reed switch is actuated by bringing a magnet near it. Once the magnet is pulled away from the switch, the reed switch will go back to its original position.
A reed switch is an electrical switch, operated by an applied magnetic field and It consists of a pair of contacts on ferromagnetic metal reeds in a hermetically sealed glass envelope.
To make a pulse motor generator (PMG) efficient :
The losses must be reduced to a minimum
The back EMF must be fully captured
The torque efficiently utilized to produce enough power to provide the pulses to drive the system
The simple motor generator is using simple electric motor setups presented in the link below http://sciencetoolbar.com/simple-electric-motor/ and in adition a second coil iron – less which provide capture of the magnetic flux generated by the rotation of the flywheel (AC output voltage), a reed switch “7.” and a step up booster module presented at “4.”.
How to make a simple motor generator :
Materials used to build pulse motor generator:
1.fidget spinner with iron insertions – the flywheel – simple motor generator
2. three neodymium magnet discs
3. two small solar panels – power source
Current: 240 mA
Size: 110 x 69mm
4. Step-up Module with adjustable booster power supply module
AeroSemi MT3608 1.2MHz 2A Step Up Converter
2A maximum output current
2.0 to 24VDC input voltage range
28V maximum output voltage (trimpot adjustable)
93% peak efficiency (~200mA output current at 5Vin, 12Vout)
36 x 17 x 14mm
5. Coil iron less from a syncronous motor 230 V – used to capture the magnetic flux gnerated by the pulse motor
The output coil will provide Ac voltage. If we wish to generate Dc voltage, in addition we need an Ac – Dc converter. In this project we did not use it, the leds are directly connected to the coil output (AC voltage).
6. bobbin – coil iron less used to produce a repulsive force
the boobin used in this science project, is from an electromagnetic door hold – open device
7. reed switch
8. reed switch position on the input coil “6.”
9. led circuit
a sciencetoolbar project http://sciencetoolbar.com
email : email@example.com